Saturday, September 18, 2010

First Day of School + A Lesson in Tolerance

Nick here. It was the first day of school last week and I took care of the Reese family tradition of taking photos of the kids outside the front door before sending them off to school.

William, nervous about his first day at the 3's class.
"What if they eat crayons different than the way I eat crayons?"


Pippa, ready to start her first day of pre-K.
"Don't worry, whether it's blue, orange, purple or yellow, it all comes out the same color."


"You're right, Pip. No matter what our skin color, our religions, our political leanings or the way we consume Crayolas, we're all the same on the inside. That is to say, filled with wax."

Sniff, sniff, they grow up so fast!

School itself has gone well. Pippa has taken to it like a sparkly unicorn at an all-you-can-eat magic jellybean buffet, making friends, doing art, singing songs and basically laying out her case for pre-K Prom Queen. William, out in the world on his own for the first time without a big sister to boss him around or take his toys or boss him around some more, has been a bit more reserved, content to sit back and observe and figure out the angles. He's a bit shy with the teachers and other kids and prefers to just play with toys, but then again, that sounds like a good way to spend a few hours, so you can hardly blame him. Hopefully once the novelty of the train table wears off he'll start interacting with others a bit more. But then if you know how Will likes trains, that could be a while yet.

4 comments:

gramma tutu said...

Absolutely mega awesome! You've nailed those kid descriptions! Pippa for prom queen!!!!Yay! I love all those critters - thanks so much for the post

Bexteaser said...

How wonderful! Loving Pips big grins! Happy dayz x

Christina, Jack and Kevin Reese/Barnum said...

I am so proud of them! I wish I could see them in action at school!

Emily said...

Your children look so happy adn lovely. Have just started teaching reception class (Pippa's age). Opened a whole new world to me!x x